Use this ER Tech job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
ER Tech responsibilities include:
- Providing emergency care to patients in the ER by monitoring temperature, pulse and blood pressure
- Assisting with emergency medical processes, such as dressing wounds and administering stitches
- Compiling all medical paperwork for patients, such as discharge instructions, medical aid documentation and aftercare guidelines
We are looking for an ER Tech to join our team and provide general care for patients in the emergency room by supporting ER Doctors and Nurses as needed.
ER Tech responsibilities include monitoring patients during their time in the ER, collecting samples from the lab and assisting Doctors and Nurses during medical procedures.
Ultimately, you will work with other medical professionals in the ER to ensure patients receive the medical attention they need and oversee their recovery.
- Measure and fit patients with casts or crutches while instructing patients on proper crutch walking
- Take medical samples from patients, such as blood or urine
- Assist doctors or nurses during medical procedures by handing them medical instruments and monitoring patients’ vital signs
- Ensure that patients receive their medication
- Inform patients’ family members about the status of their condition as well as their medical needs
- Help the nursing and administrative staff with updating patient medical records
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as an ER Tech or similar role
- Basic medical assessment skills, such as venipuncture, CPR and EKG monitoring
- Excellent critical thinking skills and the ability to navigate stressful situations
- The ability to work well with a variety of patients, doctors, nurses and administrative staff
- The expertise required to translate complex medical jargon into accessible terms for patients
- An aptness for caregiving and compassion for patients
- Relevant training and/or certifications as an ER Tech
Frequently asked questions
What does an ER Tech do?
An ER Tech assists Doctors and Nurses in the ER to ensure patients receive the care and medical attention they need throughout their stay in the facility.
What are the duties and responsibilities of an ER Tech?
An ER Tech will have many duties throughout their shift to support Doctors and Nurses, such as monitoring patient health, compiling patient reports and assisting in various medical procedures as needed.
What makes a good ER Tech?
A good ER Tech must be able to work well under pressure since the emergency room is a high-stress environment. They must also have a good bedside manner, as they will work with a variety of patients throughout the day.
Who does an ER Tech work with?
An ER Tech will work with many medical professionals like Doctors and Nurses to ensure patients receive the area and medical attention they need.