Use this Exercise Physiologist job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Exercise Physiologist responsibilities include:
- Analyzing a patient’s medical history to assess any potential risks that exercise may pose
- Performing fitness and stress tests on patients to determine their strengths, limitations and the most appropriate starting point for a new program
- Measuring and monitoring patient vital signs, such as heart rate, blood pressure, heart rhythms and oxygen levels
We are looking for an Exercise Physiologist to join our team and help patients address cardiovascular disease, lower their heart rates and help with the recovery process after surgery.
Exercise Physiologist responsibilities include developing exercise routines for their patients, keeping patients accountable to their fitness regimens, and educating patients on various health and fitness topics relevant to their recovery process.
Ultimately, you will work directly with patients who need to address cardiovascular and other health problems. You will also work with other healthcare professionals to ensure your patients receive proper care.
- Evaluate a person’s overall health, with special attention to cardiovascular function and metabolism
- Develop individualized exercise prescriptions to increase physical fitness, strength, endurance and flexibility
- Design customized exercise programs to meet health care needs and athletic performance goals
- Educate patients about their injuries and health conditions and provide information about how to stay healthy
- Teach patients how to perform exercises safely and effectively
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as an Exercise Physiologist or similar role
- Must be knowledgeable about exercise and sports nutrition
- Ability to interpret statistical data for scientific research projects
- Relevant training and/or certifications in Exercise Physiology
Frequently asked questions
What does an Exercise Physiologist do?
An Exercise Physiologist determines the best possible exercise and fitness regimen for a patient by analyzing their medical history and current needs. They then develop programs to help them recover from chronic diseases while improving cardiovascular function, body composition, flexibility or joint stability depending on the patient’s needs.
What are the duties and responsibilities of an Exercise Physiologist?
An Exercise Physiologist will have a range of duties depending on the needs of their patients. Still, they typically focus on keeping accurate records so they can provide appropriate treatments while also building relationships with both current medical staff members and their patients throughout the year.
What makes a good Exercise Physiologist?
A good Exercise Physiologist must have excellent communication skills since they must listen to the needs of their patients and adjust their exercise regimen based on pain, discomfort and their overall recovery process.
Who does an Exercise Physiologist work with?
Exercise Physiologists typically work alone with patients, but they work with other medical professionals like Physicians to ensure the medical needs of their patients are met.