Use this Food Scientist job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Food Scientist responsibilities include:
- Researching new cost-reducing manufacturing processes that meet customer needs and regulations
- Communicating with relevant parties regarding food quality and safety concerns
- Utilizing formulation software to create and update formulations
We are looking for a Food Scientist to join our team and provide technical expertise to help our organization create better food products and improve the packaging we use for the food that we sell.
A Food Scientist’s responsibilities include using chemistry to improve the flavor and texture of our food products.
Ultimately, you will work with a team of Engineers to help our organization stay ahead of the competition and develop new product innovations.
- Work on new products from conceptualization to launch
- Arrange and ship sales samples
- Update product information sheets for sales preparation and food labels
- Record, analyze, and summarize research data
- Coordinate independent laboratory testing
- Adhere to our organization’s quality standards and other safety regulations
- Perform other duties assigned by supervisor
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Food Scientist or similar role
- Proven ability to work in a laboratory for long periods of time
- Knowledge and understanding of data science
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Willingness to travel overnight and to work night and weekend shifts for special projects
- Relevant training and/or certifications as a Food Scientist
Frequently asked questions
What does a Food Scientist do?
A Food Scientist uses chemistry and biology to study and improve basic elements of food sold by an organization.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Food Scientist?
A Food Scientist has many responsibilities like running scientific experiments to find ways to improve the taste and texture of various food products. They also help an organization find ways to improve the storage, processing, and transportation of food products.
What makes a good Food Scientist?
A good Food Scientist must have excellent communication to be able to explain their findings to organizational leaders. They also have to have good data-analysis skills to review complex experiments and understand what results mean for the organization.
Who does a Food Scientist work with?
A Food Scientist will work with many professionals like a Data Scientist to interpret complex scientific data to find ways to improve fundamental elements of various food products at an organization.