Use this Medical-Surgical Nurse job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Medical-Surgical Nurse responsibilities include:
- Assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating patient care plans in consultation with healthcare professionals
- Evaluating medical information, as well as providing direct and individualized bedside nursing care to pre and post-surgery patients
- Preparing, administering, and recording prescribed medications
We are looking for a Medical-Surgical Nurse to join our team and provide excellent medical care for our patients before and after they have a surgical procedure done at our healthcare facility.
Medical-Surgical Nurse responsibilities include monitoring vital signs, administering medications, and maintaining patient records.
Ultimately, you will work directly with patients before and after they complete a surgical procedure in our facility to ensure they receive necessary medical attention.
- Change dressings, insert catheters, and start IVs
- Adjust specialized medical equipment as needed, as well as interpret and record measurements
- Monitor patients’ vitals and report adverse reactions to medications in a timely manner
- Collaborate on discharge planning with the healthcare team
- Answer questions and educate patients and their families on surgical procedures and post-surgery care
- Maintain and update patient files, medical charts, and health records
- Adhere to best nursing practices, standards, and protocols
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Medical-Surgical Nurse or similar role
- In-depth knowledge of best practices in medical-surgical nursing
- Exceptional analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills
- Superb interpersonal, communication, and collaboration abilities
- Relevant training and/or certifications as a Medical-Surgical Nurse
Frequently asked questions
What does a Medical-Surgical Nurse do?
A Medical-Surgical Nurse p
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Medical-Surgical Nurse?
A Medical-Surgical Nurse has many responsibilities, such as administering medications, starting IVs, and discharging patients with their healthcare team.
What makes a good Medical-Surgical Nurse?
A good Medical-Surgical Nurse must have excellent problem-solving skills since they need to be able to assess the medical needs of a patient and find a solution to ensure their health and wellbeing.
Who does a Medical-Surgical Nurse work with?
A Medical-Surgical Nurse will work with many professionals, such as Doctors, to ensure patients receive the care they need before and after a surgical procedure.