Use this Recreational Therapist job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Recreational Therapist responsibilities include:
- Organizing therapy sessions to interact with patients and offer recommendations for physical and mental wellness
- Developing and implementing rehabilitation programs to help patients adjust to a disability or illness
- Ensuring treatment plans are suitable for patients’ physical condition and are in accordance with their preferences
We are looking for a Recreational Therapist to join our team and help our patients recover from various illnesses through interactive recreational programs.
Recreational Therapist responsibilities include building unique therapeutic relationships with clients and assisting them with fun exercises and other therapeutic activities for their illnesses.
Ultimately, you will work directly with patients through therapeutic activities and treatment to help them recover from a variety of injuries and illnesses.
- Monitor and keep track of patient’s progress to modify treatment program as necessary
- Obtain and review patient’s medical records to assess patients abilities, interests, and needs
- Provide health tips to patients and their families on leisure activities and lifestyle changes necessary for improved health conditions
- Organize and lead patients in recreational activities such as art, sports, music or dance
- Liaise with other health care professionals to plan and evaluate therapy programs
- Help patients develop skills useful in participating in leisure exercises
- Maintain accurate record of patient information, treatment program and recovery progress
- Prepare and present reports to treatment team to highlight patients response to therapy
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Recreational Therapist or similar role
- Multi-tasking abilities
- Ability to remain objective and decisive in difficult situations
- Expert assessment skills
- Strong organizational abilities
Frequently asked questions
What does a Recreational Therapist do?
A Recreational Therapist helps patients recover from injuries and illnesses with a variety of therapeutic activities and exercises.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Recreational Therapist?
A Recreational Therapist has many responsibilities, such as organizing recreational activities for patients and helping patients develop skills to participate in leisure exercises.
What makes a good Recreational Therapist?
A good Recreational Therapist must have excellent communication skills since they need to work directly with patients and provide information back to other healthcare professionals.
Who does a Recreational Therapist work with?
A Recreational Therapist will work with many professionals, such as Nurses, to ensure their patients receive the care and attention they need to recover from injuries and illnesses while in the healthcare facility.